In your letter to the Secretary of State, you should
- Quote the application reference and the local authority concerned
- Specifically ask for the application to be called in or recovered
- Explain succinctly the reasons why you consider it raises issues of more than local importance. This is key!
- Mention material (i.e. relevant) considerations (and please note that personal opinions and interests are not material considerations)
- You should emphasise any conflicts with national policy, quoting references to relevant Government planning policies, as well as contradictions with the development plan, in terms of policies for the site in question and general policies on the type of development proposed.