Planning Help Menu

Improve where you live


Involve the local councillors

Councillors are in a position to encourage the council to take enforcement action as a priority.


In case you later need to take your case to the Local Government Ombudsman, you should keep a record of any information you give to councillors and officers.

Councils aren't actually required by law to enforce planning controls.

So if you want them to do something about a breach, you need to help them understand why it's such a problem.

Strong arguments would be that the breach, for example:

  • harms many people's enjoyment of an area
  • harms the characteristics of a place that should be protected in the wider public interest, such as a footpath.
  • could potentially bring the planning system and local council into disrepute.

Councillors are more likely to pay attention when many people point out a problem, so try to gather public support for your cause.

You could ask people to sign a petition or write to the local paper about the problem, asking it to publicise it.

We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. If that's okay, just continue browsing - or see our cookies policy for ways to opt out.